Monday, October 19, 2009

Quilting As You Go



One of the dilemmas most quilters have is the actual quilting. I am not a confident machine quilter, so anything larger than a table runner I usually send out to be machine quilted. When you are making a gift, you have to take this cost into consideration. Years ago, I used to tie quilts that I gave away as baby gifts. This seems to be out of fashion.



Last week, I made a small table runner that was a quilt as you go pattern by GE Designs. It was fun, cute and nearly finished when the top was finished. It just needed a binding. That started my wheels turning. GE Designs has a darling book Fast & Furious-quilting as you go. There are several baby quilts in this book. The shop had one of the fabric lines used in one of the baby quilts, so why not give it a try.



The results are in the photo. In about 2 hours, I had cut, prepared the backing and batting, pieced and quilted this cute baby quilt! I trimmed it up and stitched the binding in another couple of hours. It was fun to do, the results are awesome, without the additional cost of machine quilting. I highly recommend it!

No comments: