Wednesday, March 10, 2010

JUST IN


Once in a while a magazine comes thru the door that I just can't get enough of, and this is one of those. It is more like a coffee table book. There are beautiful antique quilts, which I adore. And then they have remade the quilts in contemporary fabrics. There are multiple size charts, (a shop owners dream) and close up photos of the hand quilting. I often wonder when I see old quilts, how did they do such beautiful work? The instructions were often just word of mouth, with templates cut from what ever they had. Mostly they were hand stitched with 1/8" seam allowance. The lighting was poor at best. Their needle threaders were small children. Design Walls?? Many of these quilts were made in log cabins with dirt floors. What were their scissors like? They probably used the same pair for all of their needs, from cutting hair to cutting wire. Really these women were as amazing as their quilts. Their lives were simpler in many ways, but much harder in their day to day existence. I wish the quilts came with stories of their makers.
Whether you like the old or the new quilts in the Bookazine, it is one that you will want to keep in your library for inspiration. J

1 comment:

Pam said...

dear Julie... I can't wait to get that magazine. I'm with you, when I look at some of those antique quilts, just thinking how did they do it? I read about one lady in Texas, she grew her own cotton, made her own fabric, and then made these fabulous lone star quilts that I couldn't even begin to fathom... white fabric and a dirt floor.. I appreciate all their hard work, and that some of the old quilts have been saved for us to have as inspiration. I really treasure the antique quilts that I have.