Thursday, September 23, 2010

FUN WITH SELVAGES

Selvages have always been there. They are tightly woven, you need to cut them off before you start your projects. They give you information. It's not always the same, but usually the style number and the manufacturer of the fabric are printed there. More recently, a designers name has been added. A web site, perhaps. So, you can go and see what other goodies they print.


They have always had colored dots. These are the different colors of screens that were used in printing the fabric. Some people use those dots to find coordinating colors to go with the print.


We have noticed that the dots have changed. They don't have to be dots. Just a place for a spot of color. This Halloween fabric has spiders!

And, this fall fabric has acorns! I have been saving selvages for a while now. They are like a little time capsule of what has come through the shop doors. Some of my employees have given me their selvages.
I have seen few projects made with them. We saw a wonderful purse during the Shop Hop. A friend at quilt market had a little pouch around her neck for her name badge. Atkinson Designs show a coin purse made with them. Many years ago, Jinny Beyer made a house block using selvages with her name, like bricks.
I am not sure what I will make. Something wonderful, I am sure.



But, wait, look at this. A gift on my desk this morning from one of my employees. It was made of selvages, my heart skipped a beat....



Oh, MY!! A clip board. How stinkin' cute is this? I am a very lucky girl. Selvages, rick rack, ribbon and buttons! All on a clip board just for me!! Thank you, Kay! You are a sweet heart! J



3 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

you are one lucky boss...wanna send that employee my way for a few weeks??? just sayin'....just sayin' I NEED one of them there clip boards...

Ronan's Grandma said...

That is so cute. I've just starting saving my sleveges and have a couple of small projects in mind. Kay did such a super job. Your right Julie, that is SO cute.

Colleen

Debbie said...

Hi Julie!
I really enjoyed reading your blog. I am searching for someone to make a quilt out of my daughters old t-shirts. I was wondering if you did this or knew of someone who would make the quilt for my.
Thanks,
Debbie