Thursday, January 13, 2011

COTTON CROPS

You may have read about the rising cost of cotton, this fall.

It was big news when I was in Houston in October.  All of the vendors were talking about it.

We are all about to feel it.

I thought I would take a little time to try and explain what I understand, about the increases.


There is a real cotton shortage.  Both China and Pakistan had major flooding in 2010.  There were droughts in India.  Those things were unexpected.  The United States and Russia both under planted their cotton crops.







 So, that means that prices will be going up in 2011.  In some cases they have already started.  Some of the fabric vendors raised their prices each day at market.  It was a little like the stock market floor.  Heads of companies were on the phones, trying to lock in prices.  Others felt like they had enough greige goods purchased that they could go at least another season without increasing.


It won't just be fabric.  Anything made of cotton will be going up, we are already seeing increases in thread and in cotton batting. 

Clothing will be increasing also.  As well as bedding, cotton handbags and canvas shoes.

I have been talking with shop owners around the country, we hope this will be unlike other increases, and when the crops are better, the prices will come down. 

I love fabric as much as all of you do, so my plan is to continue buying.  I hope you will feel the same!

Maybe this will be a stash buster year, but we all know that scrap quilts always need a little something extra.  At least mine do!  No matter how hard I try to sew completely from my sewing room, I always need the 'right' green, or an inner border.  Sewing and fabric sooth my soul, so yes, there will be new fabric in 2011! J

No comments: