Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I HEART A SOCK MONKEY!


What's not to love about a sock monkey?  They bring back fond memories for many 'baby boomers'.
Besides, you just have to smile when you see one.  I found this big fellow in the Moda offices a few years ago.  My Buddie, Bobbi, from Sisters Quilt Shop in Chehalis took this picture of us. 


 This guy is nice and relaxed.  His tail seems short to me.  My Grandmother made monkeys for all of the Grandchildren, and my brother enjoyed swinging them over his head, by the tail. So, all of our tails were a little stretched out.  I think he wanted to be a cowboy, instead of a zoo keeper!

 Just look at this line up!  Each one with their own personality!  Just like people.  I have a hard time passing them up when I am in an antique store.  They look a little lonely when there is just one.  But, put them together on a bench, or coming out of a child's dresser drawers, and there is nothing but Monkey Business going on!

If you've been in the shop, you know that I use them as props in the Kid's Room.  A few have snuck into my office.  This year for Christmas, my son, Cameron gave me a sock monkey hat.  I have to admit when it was 16 degrees, I didn't mind dressing like a monkey.

I made them for my boys when they were young.  I was trendy, and made them with blue socks, instead of brown.  We have sold the socks in the shop for years, so I know someone is out there making them.

Did you know there are other sock animals?  I have an elephant, a unicorn and a bear. 


This book just came into the shop.  There are dozens of different ideas for making sock friends.  They are precious!  What a fun winter project.  Surprise someone for Valentines day with a little 'sock love'.  Be sure and show us before you give it away!

2 comments:

grandmarockton said...

love your MONKEYS! wish I had one to love like your BIG guy, is he sock fabric or some other fabric?

grandmarockton said...

have tried to post but having trouble, LOVE YOUR BIG guy! is he really sock material?