Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Misteltoe Make and Bake Day Three

`


It's Day Three of our big adventure.  I don't know about you, but I feel like baking!!  Some of the recipes have been amazing. 


Today we are talking about how to start a conversation at a Cocktail party.  This can be difficult, especially if you are the only stranger in the room.

I remember years ago going to my husbands office party.  They asked him to dress as Santa.  It seemed like it would be fun, but it turned out to be one of the worst parties I had ever attended.  I was a young mom, I had been looking forward to a night out without the kids.  My husband was the most popular man at the party, but he didn't have time to introduce me to his colleges or even chat with me.  I decided that night, that I would always look for the 'stranger' in the crowd, and talk with them.  People love to tell you about themselves, their family's and their careers.  Try it, you just might make a friend, and I know you will make some one's evening much more comfortable.




Isn't this little guy cute!  Last Christmas my son, Christopher and his girlfriend Megan,  painted this for me.  He would never be lonely at a party!



My Mom used to make these cookies when I was a little girl.
I loved it when she baked them in the afternoon, just before I came home from school.  Spicy, thick, chewey cookies with crackled sugary tops.


Molasses Crinkles
3/4 cup soft butter
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves1tsp cinnamon
1tsp ginger.

Mix thoroughly butter, brown sugar, egg and molasses.  Sift together dry ingredients and stir in.  Chill Dough.  Heat oven to 375.  Roll dough into balls the size of large walnuts.  Dip tops in sugar.  Place sugar-side-up 3" apart on greased baking sheet.  Sprinkle each with 2 or 3 drops of water to make a cracked surface.  Bake 10 - 12 minutes. Just until set, but not hard.  Makes about 4 dozen.



Now  hop on over to Celinehttp://www.perkinsdrygoods.com/blog/
and

Now, I am off to try my recipe for tomorrows post!

50 comments:

BobbiD said...

I love any coolie with molasses..thnaks for sharing.

JessicaSews said...

Day 3 - Thank you!
Yes, your memory sounds so familiar. Have to have a back-up plan -
some where in that room is another person who could use company!

Beth said...

Gosh all of these cookie recipes bring back so may memories! I have become a holiday baking slacker and it must stop!

Kathy B. said...

Good advice, Julie - help another "stranger" feel comfortable and you're on your way to being the best party attendee! Thanks for another tasty recipe. After Thankgiving I'll be armed and dangerous with my KitchenAid!

Kd Brown said...

This recipe brings back so many memories from when my kids were little! I love molasses cookies. Thank you so much for another great recipe. ~Kathleen

Sandy of Mayberry said...

Molasses Crinkles are so good with coffee! (but isn't everything?)
Can relate to your story. Thanks for sharing. :)

mascanlon said...

I love alll the variation of Molasses cookies, a real childhood favorite. thanks

Brenda said...

These are one of our family's favorite cookies for the holiday.

Darlene B said...

Mmmm.....another great recipe to try!

gmp said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe with us. I love molasses cookies.

Gwen said...

LOve molasses cookies, will have to give this one a try. thanks for
the tip on conversation starters.

kerrynjane said...

These look positively yummy. I love molasses cookies!

Christie said...

Molasses/ginger cookies always bring back memories of my Granny R. She always had ginger snaps on hand. When ever they got a little too hard, she would stick a slice of apple in with them to soften them back up. Thanks for sharing. HUGS... and stitches

Martina said...

Yeah! I just love molasses and ginger. So just right for me! Thanks so much for sharing!

Deb said...

Love the recipes Want to say Thank YOu again

Texana said...

Oh, I know what you mean about feeling like the odd woman out at hubby's office party. I like your solution. To keep from being lonely, all it takes is reaching out.

Thanks for the delish-sounding recipe!

Vickie said...

I love molasses crinkles! They are great! I collect penguins and yours is adorable!

Jen said...

Thanks for the recipe. My husband too is the life of the party, I still have a hard time going to a big function with him.

bairdmtn said...

Thank you for your recipe! Molasses make cookies so moist and so good!!

cam said...

These were my favorite cookies to make when I was a young girl. The house always smelled so good when these were baking! Thanks for bringing back those memories. Carolyn

cam said...

Love these cookies! I haven't made them in ages, tho.

cam said...

Love these cookies.

Anonymous said...

Molasses cookies are fantastic...thanks for the recipe!

Sharon W said...

My grandma used to make molasses cookies. This blog has brought back so many memories. Thanks.

MIss Sherry said...

Thanks for the molasses cookie recipe. It reminds me of my great aunt Dorothy. She used sourgham instead of molassess.

baukje said...

Thank you for the recipe. Here in France they love to talk about food and wine, so on a party I think that's no problem.....

Wendy said...

Molasses = yum in my tummy so thank you for the recipe!! The penguin is cute :)

Melissa Corry said...

The penguin jar is adorable!! That is sweet that they painted it for you :)

Cindi said...

Molasses cookies...just like Grandma used to make...can't wait. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

I always try to find something I can go say to someone I see standing alone - maybe something about what they are wearing, or how they have been. I love to make people smile.

Your Molasses Crinkles sound absolutely delightful. I can't wait to try them.

Have a terrific day!

JANET said...

i just love molasses. great cookie

Gretchen said...

Love molasses cookies! Thanks so much for posting your recipe.

Pat said...

I just love your little penguin. Thanks for the cookie recipe.

Suzanne said...

Yummy cookies! I think I have gained weight just reading the recipes on all of the blogs. At least I can blame it on that.. :-)

schmidt1016 said...

I love chewy cookies. Thanks for a great recipe!

Leslie S. in MN
esclante at comcast dot net

Polly said...

YUMMO!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!

Pat said...

Thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

Molasses cookies are always good this time of year. Thanks for sharing the recipe! (Cute penguin!!)

Mrs. DillyDally said...

I'll bet these smell when they're baking just as good as they taste! Thanks!

Grandma Shell said...

Molasses cookies and milk, wonderful combination!

Lina said...

That is the cutest little penguin. Makes me smile.

Patti said...

YUM....thanks for sharing!

roadie said...

My husband would probably like this cookie...he loves molasses cookies.

Sparky said...

Anything molasses and you have me..thanks sew much for the edible treats and sweet eye candy

Marianne said...

Love molasses cookies. Can't wait to try your recipe. thanks

Marcia W. said...

Wonder if cane syrup can sub for the molasses.

Cindy said...

Wonderful. I am loving the hop!

MoeWest said...

I love molasses cookies. Thanks for the recipe.

Nana Jo said...

Cookies sound good!

Unknown said...

I can relate to your party experience! Thanks for sharing your recipe.