Friday, November 19, 2010

MISTLETOE MAKE AND BAKE DAY SIX

Today is the final day of our little journey together, what fun we have all had!  I have learned a lot, made new friends and have lots of great ideas.  I hope you are feeling the same!

First things first, I have 2 winners from Thursdays post.
At first I thought I was going to give just one prize,
but you were all so kind, I wanted to give all 172 a prize.
That didn't seem quite possible.  So, I decided to give 2.

The first prize, a zippered sewing tote,
and 9 spools of the amazing Aurifil Thread
goes to
CARAQUILTS
(insert applause here)

The second prize, 9 spools of the amazing Aurifil Thread
goes to
MRS. DILLYDALLY
(more applause)
Please email me (quilts4julie@frontier.com )  so I can get these out to you right away.






Today we are all talking about Cookie Exchanges, and tips to help you.  I wish I could write this post after I read all of my fellow bloggers ideas.  I am really bad at Cookie Exchanges.
I haven't been invited to participate in one for years, I'm sure it's because I have failed in the past.

There are always people with darling presentation, something a little extra.  They 'cute' it up.  They make complicated cookies, they have a secret twist.  I am always embarrassed by my packaging.
Usually a paper plate, probably left over from a themed birthday party, and plastic wrap.
I'm sure it was all I had time to do.  They always happen at the end of soccer season, with 3 boys, I spent a lot of time on soccer fields.  I imagine all the other mom's had kids in soccer too, they seemed
to make it happen.  I just couldn't get organized.  Besides, the boys would 'sneak'
the cookies out of some of the packages.  When they were small, they would
just take the Kisses off the top, and leave the cookie.
So, my advise to you is be organized, make it cute, do something extra, make fabulous cookies,
and don't invite your 'lame' friends.  Just give them cookies, and a hug.
It will make everybody feel good!


I found an old recipe for today, and old friend.  I haven't baked them in years,
but I'm sure I would love them as much today as I did back then.

OATMEAL SCOTCHIES

2 cups unsifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cusp firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp water
1 1/2 cups uncooked quick oats
1 12 oz package of Butterscotch Morsels
1/2 tsp orange extract

preheat oven to 375, in a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 
In large bowl combine butter, brown sugar, eggs and water.  Beat until creamy.
Gradually add flour mixture, stir in oats, Butterscotch Morsels and orange extract.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

makes 4 dozen 3 inch cookies.


Our last 2 designers are
Vickie Cook Eapen http://spunsugarquilt.com/
and my good friend Melisa Morrison http://sweethomequiltco.com/weblog/
Skip on over to see what the have going on for you today.



Now that we have become friends, don't be a stranger.
No, I don't post every day. 
No, I don't post recipes. (maybe I will start)
2 or 3 times a week I share a little of what is going on in my world.
Usually it's about quilting, sometimes I toss in news of my boys, or my granddogs.
I try to make it fun and fresh.
I hope to see  you soon!  J

53 comments:

Marcia W. said...

Butterscotch is a favorite of mine so know will like this recipe. This blog hop has been a lot of fun. Thanks for all the time you have spent on this. Happy Mistletoe Make and Bake.

JANET said...

I host a cookie exchange every year and I understand about not enough time. I have a few friends that really don't like to bake or who don't have the extra time and I still invite them every year but they are told to just come and have fun. They don't have to bake but they do have lots of fun getting together and those of us with a little more time or who do enjoy baking just make a few extra for them to take home.After all when your already making ten dozen cookies whats a couple more for a frazzled friend. Have a very merry Christmas and thank you so much for all of the recipes and projects.God Bless

kerrynjane said...

Nothing like an old family favorite. I feel that way about peanut butter cookies. Thanks for sharing your recipes and holiday ideas this week.

BobbiD said...

Thanks for all those cookie recipes and project. Alot of work for all of you...but gave all of us a great week. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Darlene B said...

I loved your comments today - I always feel "lame" as well when I bring my humble plate of "regular" cookies, and everyone else has something really fancy and cute. Oh well, mine still taste good even if I lack something in presentation! thanks for all your work on this blog hop - it was fun!

MIss Sherry said...

Thanks for making my week so much fun. I hope you had as much fun as the hoppers!

JessicaSews said...

What a great post!

We've enjoyed exchanging with our neighbors, making home-made ornaments to top off the plate is an added touch. The hugs and holiday greetings between neighbors is the best of all!

Thank you for this week's fun!
Happy Holidays!

Martina said...

Thanks so much! It was great fun to visit every day! The recipe sounds great! Will try to find the ingredients here!
Be blessed
Martina

baukje said...

Again a delicious recipe, thanks so much. We all together had so much fun this week . I have discovered all new recipes....

I have a friend who is an excellent chocolate/bonbon maker. She organizes sometimes a chocolate-make-party....SO FUN

Deb said...

Wanted to Say Thank You for the fun Week It has been Great
Thank You for all the recipes,tips, and fun ideas.
Want to Wish you a Happy Holiday Season

Texana said...

Thanks for participating in this fun bloghop and for all the tasty recipes!

Debby said...

I have enjoyed this bog hop so much and hope that you make it an annual tradition. All the recipes sound wonderful. thanks ~~~

Debby said...

Thanks for great recipes

Pat said...

The challenges of boys and cookies in the house, do make a cookie exchange a bit risky. My sons swear I only make things to give them away.

bairdmtn said...

Yum! These cookies sound oh so good! Thank you for all your hard work in making this blog hop a success! I really appreciate all the new projects and recipes that I have gotten! I will treasure them for many years to come! Thank you!

Vickie said...

Thank you so much for sharing this week! It's been fun! Love these cookies!

mascanlon said...

Thank you so much for all the time you put in to making this fun! I do so understand the soccer issues! Even now when my kids are grown and gone there are the grandkids tournaments and even my daughter's collegiate team, Fall is all about the ball!

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing with you on this....sounds like you did exactly what I would do...organization is NOT my strong point LOL! Yet, for some people it comes sooo naturally - NOT FAIR, I say! Thanks for the hop recipes & project!

ally said...

Thanks for all the cookie recipes and projects. Happy Holidays

Kathy B. said...

Thank you for sharing your design and cookie recipes. This has been a great blog hop. I have had the best time collecting holiday ideas.

Cindi said...

Thanks so much for sharing! Both the cookie recipes and the project. Congratulations for a great week and to all the winners!

Karen said...

The Oatmeal Scotchies sound wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share with us this week. This blog hop has been such a delight. I have enjoyed all the patterns, traditions, anecdotes, recipes, and laughter from this week. Enjoy your Thanksgiving and Christmas with your family!

Mrs. DillyDally said...

The cookies sound melt in your mouth wonderful! Gosh...I'm so excited about the give a way of Aurifil thread! Thanks a million...for everything!

Sparky said...

You know something Julie ?..I am sew much sweeter this week...imagine that...lol
thanks for the very sweet tour...
I have sew enjoyed all the cookie and bar recipes and really getting to know you better too.

MoeWest said...

I love oatmeal cookies and this sounds like a nice variation. Thanks.

Kd Brown said...

Oatmeal Scotchies sound delicious! This has been a great blog hop. Thank you for all the recipes and projects. Happy Holidays! ~Kathleen

gmp said...

Love these cookies. Thanks for sharing your recipes and your special project. I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Nana Jo said...

Thanks for recipe and the tips!

Pat said...

These cookies sound delicious. I have really enjoyed the Shop Hop blog. Thank you so much for participating.

Gretchen said...

Oatmeal scotchies are the best. I haven't made them in years. I'll have to get some butterscotch chips...thanks for all the fun and recipes. This has been a very fun blog hop!!

Grandma Shell said...

My kids loved Oatmeal Scotchies. My baby girl just turned 30, so it's been awhile LOL Thanks for being a part of this Blog Hop.

Patti said...

This has been a really FUN week! Thanks for sharing all your delicious recipes with all of us!

Wendy said...

I'm so glad I found your blog along this hop :) I will be back and I thank you for sharing all that you did!

Gwen said...

Julie, thankd you so much for sharing your project and all the recipes, they have been great. I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and trying to decide which recipe to try first. Thanks again.

Steph M said...

Yummy recipe. Thanks for all the fun this week!!

ytsmom said...

I'm pretty good at cookies, but also lack presentation skills.

Lina said...

Thank you so much for participating in putting out all this fun for us.

Christie said...

The scotchies are good! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Thanks a bunch for sharing this recipe and the exchange tip, too! Most of all, thank you so very much for sharing all your recipes, tips and ideas and your wonderful project with us during the Mistletoe Make and Bake, this has been the most fun! I could kiss you all under the mistletoe for all the wonderful things you all have shared with us. I will be following your blog from now on. Thanks again bunches, and Merry Christmas to you and yours! HUGS... and stitches

Christie said...

These are good! Thanks for sharing! HUGS... and stitches

Diane Pruitt said...

Have enjoyed your blog and will check it out in future.

Brenda said...

Thank you for a great week.

Jen said...

Thanks for being part of the blog hop. It's been fun and I have found some great new blogs to check out

DutchQuilter said...

These sound so good. Thank you so much for the pattern and recipes. I will try to visit your blog again soon.

Suzanne said...

I love your blog!! Thanks for a wonderful week of great stories, ideas, recipes and FUN.

Sandielynn said...

Thanks so much for all of the effort you put into the hop this week! I appreciate all of the cookie recipes and the great tray idea! Have a wonderful holiday season!

Unknown said...

Love Oatmeal Scotchies. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon W said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love oatmeal cookies. Thanks also for participating in this blog hop. It has been a great week.

Liz said...

Thanks for all the yummy recipes. The Mistletoe Make and Bake Blog has been fun!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe sounds so good! Thanks for sharing your holiday stuff with us, Julie. It has been a fun week :)

schmidt1016 said...

I remember those cookies! Yumm!
Thanks for taking part in this fun adventure. I appreciate the time it involves. I know I had a good time!

Leslie S. in MN
esclante at comcast dot net

Cindy said...

Thanks for all the recipes. This was a great hop!

Kathy H said...

thanks for all the recipes and ideas this week. It was a lot of fun.

Polly said...

Another yummy recipe!! YUMMO!! Thanks for this hop! It's really gotten me ready for the Christmas season! Polly