Thursday, December 16, 2010

Holiday Cheer

Getting ready for the Holiday's has been different for me this year.

I am not really sure why, but I haven't pushed myself to do all of the things I usually do.

Today, I finally hung a few of my old favorite Christmas quilts.

This Holly Basket Quilt means a lot to me.  It is an old Thimbleberries pattern.
I hand appliqued the holly and the berries while sitting next to my mom, during her final days.
I remember her telling me that I would ruin my eyes if I continued to wear 'cheater' glasses.
Once a mom, always a mom!




This Snowman quilt is the size of a door, a life size, friendly fellow. 
Orange fabric was difficult to find when I made this.  Now, orange is one of my favorite colors.
Don't you think buttons always add a bit of whimsy to a quilt?




I bet this quilt is at least 20 years old.  But, it is always the first one I hang. 
It will stay up long after Christmas is over.

It was a Debbie Mumm pattern.  On the pattern cover there were 4 snowmen, with 3 boys
it made sense to just make 3.  I love the simplistic lines of this quilt.  I was still hand quilting everything!

Tonight, when I get home from the shop, I am going to light an Apple Pie Candle, listen to Elvis sing Christmas songs, and wrap a few gifts.  I feel like I am finally getting ready for the big Holiday!

I plan to bake some cookies in the next few days, remember all of those yummy recipes we shared during the Mistletoe Make and Bake Bloghop?  I must get busy!! J

1 comment:

Paula said...

Julie,
I do like your Holly basket quilt. I have never seen another like it. It has such great memories for you.

You should enter this in my sewing challenge blog here at, Paula's Sewing Challenges.

You could win a little something, something.
Hope to see you there soon.
Cheers,
Paula