Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Stitching


Embroidery has always been popular.  It's a great way to introduce young girls to sewing.  I remember doing a little embroidery during a Blue Bird meeting, I loved it then, and I love it now.  Sometimes I am intimidated when I see the beautiful work both Faith and Kay do. I have decided that practice is the only way to get better, so I have been stitching a little in the evenings. 


We have quite a few patterns for embroidery in the shop. Did you know that we even carry the Aunt Martha's transfers?  I had an Aunt Thelma.  She taught me the love of collecting.  I own her salt and pepper shaker collection.  Hundred's of them. They give me great pleasure.  I know how hard she worked, in the cannery, and spending 39 cents at Woolworth's was a big deal!  She had many collections, but I don't think she realized we would call them collections today.  I have a big box of embroidery patterns that she mailed away for.  A wonderful look at the patterns that were available in the 40's and 50's.  My father and his brother thought they were 'junk'.  Not Me!  I treasure them.  She also collected pre printed embroidery projects.  Yes, I have many of those, also.  I will dig them out, and take pictures for you!



 This little stitchery, from Rosalie Quinlin, is the one I am working on right now.  Rosalie is an Australian designer, you may have seen her projects in the Australian magazines.  I ordered her patterns last week, I imagine they are on a slow boat, but when they arrive it is going to be a wonderful day.  Her things are delightful, and so is she!!



We have many customers who have made this pattern.  It is from Crabapple Hill, and a classic for sure.  More than one customer has done it in blue and white. It is on my To Do list.  That list just keeps growing!  How does that happen? J

2 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I have seen so many wonderful patterns that I would like to do this year and of course it is too late to do them, so I plan on making my christmas things, through out the year, then I will have them for next year.

Debbie

gmp said...

I really love all of the Crabapple Hill patterns, and especially the red and white quilt you showed here. It's on my To-Do List too!

Oh, I got my pattern in the mail from the Blog Hop a few weeks ago. Thank you s much for taking the time to do that for me. Merry Christmas. Grace