Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Weather Report

 Today is one of those days, when everyone though the door is talking about the weather.  Even Face Book is full of weather comments.  This morning we had bright flashes of lightning followed by long, loud thunder claps.  There was rain, wind and hail in some places.   Quite the wake up call!  Now, the sky is blue and the sun is shinning. 


When I was growing up, my Grandparents lived on a farm outside of Portland, Oregon.  I loved spending time there.  I was always willing to help, we had to gather eggs, milk Bessy the cow, throw the ball for Shep, feed all of the barn cats.  My Grandmother did not quilt, she had a quilt frame, but it was never taken out of the Sears and Roebuck's box.  She mended my Grandfathers shirts, made sock monkeys and a few other soft toys.  She had a button box, which I treasure today.  One of my earliest sewing memories, is sewing buttons on wash cloths, picking the prettiest ones from the box. I imagine, my Grandfather was tired of my 'help', and she had to find a project to keep me inside!


In the hall way of the farm house, there was a big black wall phone.  They were on a party line,  remember those?  They knew what was going on at the near-by farms by listening in. They had a special ring, and I remember them saying 'It's for the Rassmussen's'.  We all know who's phone is ringing by our special ring tones, today!  Everything old is new again!  Next to the phone, hanging from a string, was a current copy of the Farmer's Almanac, and a pencil that my Grandfather sharpened with his pocket knife.  He would look at the Almanac, often.  Quoted it.  I just remember it's yellow cover.


Today, I decided to see what the Almanac had in store for our winter weather, since we have started out with a bang!  But, look at the map,  Mild and Very Wet.  That is great news for those of us in the NW.  We know how to do Very Wet, it's the Very Cold, that we have a hard time with.  It also said today was a good day to cut your hair, weaning and potty training, bake, cut fire wood and dig holes.  Nothing about stitching, hmm.  I wonder if they told women when to sew, mend, quilt, stitch?  I think it is something we should all but on our calendars!  Make time to do a little stitching, it's way more fun than digging holes!  J


PS- a pantie raid update.  Today, I am delivering 73 pairs of panties, and 65 pairs of socks to the Everett Gospel Mission.  They were thrilled with the call, as you can imagine, they are taking care of more people than ever.  Thank you for all of your generosity!

1 comment:

WoolenSails said...

I can always tell what the weather will be when I step out the door;) It is cold, more cold and nothing else.

Debbie