Wednesday, April 21, 2010

IF IT'S WEDNESDAY, IT'S VINTAGE NOTIONS

Were you a fan of the 5 and Dime? As a small girl I would often go 'to town' with my grandparents and my Aunt Thelma. We would go to the market, the bank and almost always the 5 and Dime. I remember this store vividly. Dark, wide plank, wooden floors. Stairs leading the the Mezzanine, where the clothing department was. A fabric cutting counter, with a wonderful measuring meter. The fabric was fed through the machine, and pulled until the amount you had requested appeared on the dial. Then the clerk would push down on the metal dial and it made a small cut in the cloth. Then, she tore the fabric. I loved watching the fabric clerk!


Then there were isles of glass shelves with pretty little knick-knacks. My Aunt Thelma loved the Salt and Pepper shakers. She would buy a set almost every Saturday. I have her collection, plus a few I have added along the way. She gave me the love of collecting. The love of all things 'cute'! I am sure these cute little pincushions were in those 5 and Dimes. Not expensive, just something pretty for the home sewer to have near her sewing chair.



This sweet little kitty is an all time favorite. My grandmother always had 1 house cat, and it was always white. There were lots of barn cats. I remember her playing with both Puff and Muffin.

An elegant looking dog. I think it must be a dachshund.



An unhappy looking Bull Frog.



An old fashioned shoe was a common theme.
I am sure there are other pincushions like this, when I have the chance to go antiquing, my eyes are always looking for new ones! J


No comments: