Monday, May 3, 2010

FADED MEMORIES

Every quilt can tell a story. Especially the ones you actually make for yourself. If you are like so many quilters, as soon as the binding is stitched down, the quilt is given away. In my case, as soon as the binding is finished most quilts come to live in the shop. I love sharing them with all of you, but every once in a while I need to make one just for me!


The last shipment of fabric in our old location was Moda's Faded Memories. I would not let the staff unpack the boxes, it was hard for them, they peeked but the bolts stayed in the boxes. On the day we reopened this was the featured collection on the bench just inside the door. Everyone loved it. The soft romantic florals were the most beautiful fabrics, ever. I couldn't resist 'buying' a 1/2 yard of each print. I don't remember how much of the border fabric I had. Maybe 3 yards. The collection came with a pattern, easy pinwheels with a splash of applique. It was a lovely quilt, but I wasn't sure if it was 'the' quilt I wanted.


The first few months at the shop were crazy busy. Trying to 'tweek' everything. A few new employees, working on the website, having a real office to conduct business. And lots of walls to fill with samples. Faded Memories would have to wait. In the fall, my son was in a car accident, that kept me from working and from sewing for months. Sometime in early 2007, I started spending small amounts of time in my sewing room again. I rediscovered my stack of fabric, and now the easy pinwheels seemed just what I needed to ease my way back. I took the applique with me to many waiting rooms, as my son worked on his recovery. When I got it back from the quilter I put it aside to bind when I had time. Recently my boy spread his wings, and went to California. He is busy making music and enjoying the sun. After he headed out, I put the binding on this beautiful quilt. Some of the memories of that time will never fade. I have this wonderful shop, I have my amazing son and I have this beautiful quilt. What more could a girl want? J

1 comment:

Emily. said...

What a special quilt, Julie. Just beautiful.