Wednesday, January 13, 2010

There is something magical about teaching a girl to sew. Their amazement when things come together is so rewarding. I had the pleasure of helping a dear friends daughter finish her 1st quilt a couple of weeks ago, and thought you might like to see her results!

I met Erinn 11 years ago, she was 5 at the time. A beautiful, curious, smart, funny little girl. She has always had a special place in my heart. To see the beautiful 16 year old she has turned into really takes my breath away. What happened to that little girl that thought there were Lemur's in our back yard? She now drives a VW bug (new style), had a boyfriend who wants to be a fireman, is still playing soccer and is still determined to do things her way.


A couple of months ago Erinn decided she wanted to make a quilt for her boyfriend, she had already picked out the fabric with a fireman related theme. She knew she wanted to include photo's. One day after school, her dad brought her in and I showed them how to use a sewing machine. Brian was a great student, learned how to thread the machine and how to wind the bobbin. Erinn was very good with the "gas pedal". I recommended a charm pack and Pat Sloan's book, "I Can't Believe I'm Sewing". I couple of weeks later Brian called and wanted to know if he could come and use our rotary equipment to cut 8 1/2" squares. Then, I heard they had been in to get the borders and backing. On the Saturday after Christmas, Erinn called and asked how to put it all together. I had her come in, she had her top all finished (it was very flat!), and her backing was pieced together. I called a local quilter, Dizzy Stitches, and we went right over. A week later we picked up the finished quilt, and worked all day in my office on the binding.

As you can imagine she was thrilled with her achievement. Her boyfriend and his family were totally impressed with her work. And for me, my heart is swollen with pride. I love this girl and her sister Shannon. I am so proud that I have been a part of their lives. I hope there are many more sewing days ahead.



Isn't this amazing!!! Nice Job Erinn!

1 comment:

erinnhirschy said...

Awww I love you aunty Julie! Thanks for all your help!