Monday, May 2, 2011

BORDERS!

I watch people, everyday, select fabric for quilts.  Often people, myself included, will choose fabric according to their favorite fabric.  The one they plan to use for the border.  Most of the time this works out just fine.  But, if it doesn't, are you willing to change?

I had one of these moments this weekend.  I was making a little charm square quilt.  After sewing the blocks together, I cut the borders and stitched them on.  I didn't audition them.  (I was watching a Julia Child's rerun on PBS).  When I was finished, I stood back, prepared to be happy with the results.  But no, they were wimpy.  WIMPY!  I liked the fabric I selected, but it just didn't do it for me.

I took it to the shop, thinking maybe it would grow on me.  Nope, I was right.  It needed a different border.


 I didn't take a picture of the quilt before I started taking the border off.  But, I think you can get the idea.  It was a sweet plaid, with cherries.  I even matched the plaid!


 See how light it is, and the center is pretty bold.



 Okay, now it's off and I can audition other choices.




This afternoon I came home a little early and put my new choice on!  No More Wimpy Quilts!  Now, I am happy! 

This little beauty is just, layer, baste, quilt as desired and bind, away from hanging in the shop!

I hope this will give you the courage to follow your gut, when you are putting your quilt tops together.  If you feel you need to change-just do it.  You will be happy that you did.  J


BTW the pattern is Dora, by Me and My Sister.

2 comments:

Pam said...

what a sweet quilt Julie!!

A Pieced Heart said...

You did good!