Monday, May 10, 2010

NATIONAL APRON DAY

Have you heard the news? The Monday after Mother's Day is National Wear Your Apron Day.


What a fun way to get back to reality, after a day of being 'honored' by the one's you love. If you grilled outside yesterday, maybe Dad was the one who wore the apron. Remember those silly BBQ Sets in the '60's, with a funny apron, a big hat and a giant oven mitt? I am sure I purchased at least one of those for my Daddy. I am not sure he ever cooked, or even wore it. But they were fun.


A young mom was in the shop last week showing off a cute apron she had made for her sister-in-law. She is a new sewer, and has 'refashioned' clothing for her daughter. This apron was darling, she found a pair of 'vintage' curtains at a thrift store. They were white with turquoise and orange fruit on them. She made a little apron using orange bias tape around the edges. Easy, Peasy and totally adorable.


Aprons are fun and functional. My Grandmothers and my Aunts always wore them, they are good for wiping tears, dusting, as a pot holder, swatting fly's, as well as keeping your blouse clean. I like ones that have pockets, and cover my hips! My son is a chef, and he hates to wear an apron. He uses bar towels, and wears a white jacket.


A fun place to read about aprons is on Amy Karol's blog, http://angrychicken.typepad.com on her side bar is Tie One On, this will link you to all things aprony!


So wear your aprons proudly today! J


No comments: